Building Permit Requirement Checklist
Permits are required when building, remodeling or enlarging a building. Permits are also required for other improvements to your property. Projects that are cosmetic, such as painting, wallpapering, carpeting, cabinets and trimwork, etc., do not require permits. Additionally, permits are not required when replacing fixtures or existing wiring or plumbing.
- Construction of a building.
- Main building Accessory building (including permanent and portable storage sheds, gazebo's, carports, patio covers).
- Foundation repairs.
- Additions to a building.
- Remodeling of a building requiring the addition or removing of a wall or enlarging an opening for a window or door.
- Building or replacing a deck more than 30" above grade.
- Electrical work. (Repair work such as replacing switches, plugs and ballast is exempt.)
- Plumbing work.
- Water heaters (replacing or adding).
- Replacing water or sewer lines. (Repair work such as exchange of washers and faucets is exempt.)
- Irrigation systems (lawn sprinklers).
- Installing or replacing a furnace.
- Installing or replacing an air conditioning system. Building or replacing a fence.
- Building or replacing a retaining wall over four feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall.
- Replacing a roof.
- Installing or replacing a driveway approach (the portion of the drive connecting to the street).
- Installing a circular drive. Installing a satellite dish.
- Building a swimming pool.
- Building a spa.
- Demolition of a building.
This list is not an all-inclusive list. If you have any questions concerning your projects, you may call the Building Inspection Department at 972.450.2880.
NOTE: Please contact your Homeowner's Association for additional requirements from Deed Restrictions and Covenants.